Diversity, Equity and Inclusion
We are committed to creating and supporting a positive work environment and culture in which all our team members–from employees early in their careers to members of senior management–can grow professionally and contribute to the success of Granite Point. This commitment includes fostering a culture of diversity, equity, and inclusion in which we recognize and value differences in our team members’ experiences, capabilities, and perspectives.
Promoting a Safe and Inclusive Environment
We are dedicated to promoting a work environment and culture that:
- Is free from discrimination, harassment, or retaliation because of race, color, creed, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation (including transgender status, gender identity or expression), pregnancy (including childbirth, lactation, or related conditions), marital status, disability, public assistance, age, familial status, genetic information, local commissions activity, veteran status, uniformed servicemember status, or any other status protected by federal, state or local laws;
- Provides fair treatment and mutual respect to all employees;
- Is inclusive and embraces individual differences;
- Provides equal employment opportunities based on ability, performance, and potential;
- Informs all team members of their rights and responsibilities with regard to fairness, equity, and respect for all aspects of diversity;
- Considers flexible work practices, benefits, and policies to support employees and their changing needs; and
- Is committed to the attraction, retention, and development of a diverse range of talented, energetic, and committed people.
We promote this work environment and culture through policies in our Employee Handbook that provide for equal employment opportunities, equal pay, disability accommodation, religious accommodation, parental and other family leave, and accommodations for nursing mothers, as well as detailed prohibitions against sexual harassment and other forms of workplace harassment. See also the description of our Human and Labor Rights policy here.
Providing Annual Training
In addition, all officers and employees receive mandatory third-party training on anti-harassment and diversity, equity, and inclusion annually. Topics addressed in diversity, equity, and inclusion training have included creating a culture of belonging and unconscious bias.
Prioritizing and Cultivating Board Diversity
Diversity, equity, and inclusion are also company priorities at the Board level. Three of our six directors identify as women, and one identifies as a member of an ethnic/racial minority group. Furthermore, the Board has committed to take reasonable steps to assemble a diverse pool of nominees when conducting searches for new directors, and any search firm we engage will be affirmatively instructed to seek to include diverse candidates.
In the fall of 2022, we developed and implemented a survey to measure employee engagement and satisfaction and to identify any areas where we may improve our work environment or culture. More than 90% of our team members completed this initial engagement survey. The Overall Sentiment Score, as measured by the survey provider, was Positive (as compared to a score of either Neutral or Negative). We intend to repeat this engagement survey annually. The fall 2022 survey responses will provide us with baseline data that we can track and compare over time, and we plan to use the detailed information gathered to implement any appropriate recommendations and strategies.
We have also deployed periodic employee surveys to gather insight around topics such as our COVID-19 response and return-to-office plans, as well as our new charitable initiatives program–GPMT Gives. Responses from these employee surveys directly shaped our policies and approach to these topics.
Engaging with Our Communities
Through our GPMT Gives platform, we encourage our team to make meaningful contributions to the communities in which we live and work by championing the causes that matter most to them. To support these causes, we offer the following programs:
- Volunteer Time Off - Full-time employees may take up to eight hours of paid time per year to volunteer with a 501(c)(3) organization(s) of their choice
- Company Matching Gifts - Granite Point will match donations of up to $300 per year to a 501(c)(3) organization(s) of the donating employee’s choice